Saturday, June 9, 2018

Don't Be Afraid To Fall

Due to his low muscle tone, it took Emmett longer to start walking than most children. I remember hoping and praying that he would walk independently someday and I was ecstatic when he did. What I didn't anticipate was how easily he would lose his balance and fall. Emmett definitely doesn't fall as much as he used to, but he still has his moments. Especially when he is tired or trying to go too fast.
A few months ago, he had one of "those moments". We were getting ready to leave church, when he pulled away from someone, lost his balance, and hit his head on the edge of a pew. He got a pretty good gash in the side of his head, so we knew right away that he needed to go to the emergency room.
I've never been one to panic, but I know that having Emmett has made me roll with the punches even more. Nothing comes easily for him and he's had so many tests and procedures that this trip to the emergency room was just one more bump on this roller coaster that we call life. He actually had a similar injury, 2 1/2 years ago, right after he had started walking.
He's such a good patient that the doctors and nurses are always impressed at how calm he normally is. While we were waiting for the numbing agent to kick in, he was standing at the doorway just checking everything out and watching people in the hallway. They had to put three staples in his head and were prepared to have to pin him down, but he didn't even flinch. We also requested a CT scan, which he was equally calm for. He just kind of looked up at the machine with an expression like, "This is new, I wonder why I'm in here?"
The CT came back normal and although Emmett will likely have a scar, it will hardly be noticed because it is under his hair.
I'd like to think that this will be our last emergency room run, which would be great, but not likely. No matter how closely we watch him, he is bound to fall and hurt himself sometimes.
A few days after his fall, Chris Rice's song, "Untitled Hymn (Come to Jesus)" came on the radio. Every time I hear this verse, I think of Emmett, and I especially do now:

"And like a newborn baby
Don't be afraid to crawl
And remember when you walk
Sometimes we fall, so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!"

All of us fall sometimes. Whether we literally fall, make a poor choice, or just go through rough times, if we fall on Jesus, He will see us through. There may even be a scar left behind, but that's just a reminder that we survived and are a little bit stronger or wiser from whatever we have been through.
Emmett may not understand this concept, but I know that having him has definitely made me stronger and has made me rely on my faith even more.
Life has its ups and downs and we all make mistakes, but knowing that we don't have to go through it alone, makes the hard stuff a little easier. Don't be afraid to fall.

This handsome guy doesn't let a little fall keep him down for long!




No comments:

Post a Comment